Headphone Amplifier and DAC
Audiophile headphone amplifier with built-in Digital-to-Analog Converter. Doubles as reference-level DAC for 2-channel audio.
What do you get when you cross our Cassabria headamp with our Bellina DAC?
We call it Bellina HPA. But you may think of it as audio bliss!...
This upgraded version of our highly successful Isabellina HPA brings out the best in all your headphones. You choose: Single-ended headphones. Balanced headphones. Or BOTH. Compared to Isabellina HPA, Bellina also delivers:
- Better sound
- A fresh new look
- Rapid access for tube rolling
- Expanded tube choices, for more options to tailor sound to taste
- Blacker backgrounds & improved dynamics — via upgraded DAC module, featuring 10x increase in capacitance and ultra-low-noise voltage regulation
Renaissance Edition upgrades available for your Isabellina HPA LFP-V Edition. Learn more
Doubles as external DAC or linestage for digital music
• HPA’s tube-stage also feeds rear-panel outputs — simply add an interconnect cable to enjoy your Bellina DAC in any audio system
• Outputs can be ordered fixed or variable, at no additional cost
• Choose variable outputs and your HPA can feed a 2ch amplifier, eliminating the need for a separate preamp / linestage when listening to digital music
Combination of variable outputs and supplied remote control make leaving the comfort of your listening chair harder than ever!
- New Renaissance Edition tube stage
- New front-panel rotary switch controls power ON / OFF and SMART operation mode
- Choice of single-ended headphones only. Balanced headphones only. Or BOTH from a single headamp!
- 3 digital inputs: Coaxial, Optical and USB
- Red Book (16-bit NOS) playback ships standard
- Optional Bellina Pro adds high-resolution playback (async mode, 24/192k via USB) and advanced USP support
- Solid aluminum remote volume control
- Hand-built in the USA
- Backed by our 10-year warranty and highly personalized customer service
Take your entire headphone system off-the-grid!
Optional 5V or 12Vdc output jack allows you to take select products like Wadia i170, Onkyo ND-S1, Pure i20 and others off AC power, letting you harness the benefits of LFP battery-power for your entire headphone rig.
*Custom-made DC power cable sold separately
We offer both single-ended and balanced headphone stages
The single-ended output brings your music to life with fine resolution, lifelike soundstage, and natural timbre & tone. And for your hard-to-drive headphones, the balanced headphone stage offers all the sonic goodness of our single-ended stage — plus it delivers more power and stunning dynamics.
Single-ended headphone stage…
- Delivers a highly-resolved and seductive headphone listening experience
- Couples warmth and tone, while uncovering subtle details and delicate spatial cues
- Uses a 6.35mm (1/4") stereo headphone jack on front panel
- Is powered by the LFP battery pack inside your unit, delivering an ultra-quiet background
The single-ended headphone stage comes standard on our Cassabria headphone amplifier, and is offered as a factory installed option on select Red Wine Audio components.
Balanced headphone stage…
- Drives a wide range of headphones with ease
- Brings music to life with stunning dynamics, fine resolution, lifelike soundstage, and natural timbre & tone
- Features a high-current, discrete FET design that delivers a clean 5 watts RMS into 32-ohms
- Uses a Neutrik 4-pin XLR output jack on front panel
- Is powered by the LFP battery pack inside your unit, delivering an ultra-quiet background
The balanced headphone stage comes standard on our Cassabria headphone amplifier, and is offered as a factory installed option on select Red Wine Audio components.
We offer two levels of DAC support...
Red Book conversion via our tried-and-true 16-bit, NOS Bellina design. Or opt for Bellina Pro and you can choose between our traditional 16-bit DAC and high-resolution 24/192k playback, by simply flipping a switch. And if you're a computer-based audiophile, be sure to check out our advanced USB techologies.
- 3 inputs: Coaxial, Optical and USB
- Red Book (NOS 16-bit) playback ships as base-level Bellina DAC
- Class-A FET I/V conversion stage (no opamps used)
- USB input eliminates need for S/PDIF conversion, a sound-degrading step found in many USB DACs
- USB input isolates your computer’s power bus from the internal DAC chip — an innovation called “galvanic isolation” — preventing computer noise from degrading the sound
The 16-bit Bellina DAC comes standard on Bellina and Bellina HPA, and is offered as a factory installed option on select Red Wine Audio components. Bellina Pro is an upgrade option to our 16-bit Bellina DAC, and is offered as a factory installed option for all products supporting our Bellina DAC.
Optional Bellina Pro
Two digital-to-analog chips on a single board. One optimized for high-resolution playback. One optimized for Red Book playback.
- Red Book conversion via our tried-and-true 16-bit, NOS Bellina design
- High-resolution conversion via premium 24/192k Wolfson DAC chip
- Toggle between the two d/a converters by simply flipping a switch
- High-res converter also plays 16-bit, so you can choose between two sonic "flavors” when listening to Red Book
- Supports 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, and 192k via coax and optical inputs (more on USB below)
Bellina Pro Advanced USB Support
For computer-based audiophiles, Bellina Pro features advanced technologies bringing sonic improvements to both Red Book and high-resolution playback via USB...
- Asynchronous mode USB-to-I2S conversion (USB 2.0 compliant)
- Integer-mode compatible
- Supports 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, and 192k files (no driver required for Mac OS X)
State-of-the-art technology. Delivers improved sound & added convenience compared to alternative battery types.
LiFePO4 (LFP) battery packs have much lower internal resistance (compared to SLA), which translates directly into better sound. And only Red Wine Audio offers premium LFP battery packs for an entire line of hi-fi components, resulting in:
- Great dynamics
- Tight, resolved bass
- An open and extended treble response
- The most environmentally friendly battery technology available
- 5 times the cycle life compared to sealed lead-acid (SLA) batteries
- No loss in cycle life when batteries run to complete discharge
- Built-in, custom-designed cell management, optimizing battery performance and reliability
- Ease of replacement, with no special skills or soldering required
Adds richness and warmth. Standard on most components.
We’re the first company to combine tube richness and warmth, with a level of purity only LiFePO4 battery power can deliver, and make it available across an extensive line of audio components, delivering:
- A large 3-dimensional soundstage
- Lifelike harmonics and tone
- Outstanding retrieval of subtle detail
- The blackest background achievable using tubes
- An emotionally involving, “toe-tapping” listening experience
- Ability to fine tune the sound, via tube rolling, to match your system needs and musical taste
- New on-board switch allows choice of 6922 or 12AX7 families of tubes, for added flexibility in tube rolling
- New addition of polystyrene bypass capacitors provides more open and nuanced top-end response
- Operates in Class-A mode, delivering the highest level of sonic purity
- Delayed turn-on sequencing mutes audio signal while tubes warm up, avoiding turn on / off “pops”
- Maximizes tube life by heating them prior to applying plate voltage
- “Buffered-design” via high input impedance and low output impedance, breaths additional life into your music
- Auto-biasing for tubes – so just plug ‘n play!
6922 / E88CC, 6DJ8 / ECC88, 7308 / E188CC, 7DJ8 / PCC88, 6N23, 6H23, 6N11, and 6GM8
12AX7 / ECC83, E83CC / ECC803, 5751, 12DT7 / 12DM7/12DF7, 6681, 7058, and 7025
Fully automates all aspects of battery management. AC power can be totally absent from signal path, for better sound.
Our innovative SMART board (Seamless battery Monitoring and Auto Recharge circuiT) continuously monitors battery pack voltage. When voltage drops to predetermined level, SMART turns your unit OFF and begins charging. When charging is complete, the external charger can remain connected indefinitely. It’s that simple!
New 3-position front-panel rotary switch provides added convenience when selecting one of three operating modes:
1. OFF and charging
2. ON while charging at the same time, for unlimited play time
3. ON in “Pure Battery Mode,” where both positive and negative leads of battery charger internally disconnect from battery (so there’s zero chance of sound degradation)
- In-rush current limiting provides your unit with soft starting, maximizing component lifespan
- External battery charger to completely eliminate internal AC noise
Our new Renaissance Edition enclosures fuse traditional with new design elements, resulting in a timeless, organic look.
Choose between natural maple, rich walnut or warm cherry solid-wood front & side panels — each crafted & finished by hand, and protected by multiple coats of polyurethane. We also hand-sand between coats to produce a smooth and enduring finish.
- 1/2" thick, solid-wood front and side panels
- Laser engraved front panels
- Chrome plated, solid aluminum knobs
- Red LED "power-ON" indicator above the mode select knob
- Chrome plated top-panel, providing easy access for tube rolling by simply removing 3 thumb screws
Personal pride is evident in every component we build. Our products:
- Are designed and built by hand in the USA
- Incorporate premium parts throughout like discrete FETs vs. lesser sounding (and less expensive) op amps
- Feature purist circuit designs, including short and direct signal paths
- Run 'off-the-grid' on pure LiFePO4 (LFP) battery power, eliminating the AC-to-DC conversion process when listening
- Are built to last, and backed by a comprehensive 10-year warranty and highly personalized service
Note: Isabellina HPA reviews follow. Bellina HPA is an upgraded version of our Isabellina HPA.
Industry Feature — A behind the scenes look at the Renaissance Edition product line!
“These components will be the very best we have offered since I started RWA in 2005”
“…it let me enjoy the music without feeling that I was listening through headphones, disconnected from reality. Its freedom from the AC grid allowed it to provide the purest music signal, elevating my enjoyment of what truly matters: the music.”
Source: Uday Reddy, SoundStage!
“In twenty years of performing and recording, I have never heard anything that approaches the natural sound of the HPA for acoustic music.”
Isabellina DAC now part of Jeff Dorgay’s reference system
“Not only did it get one of our PC awards, I purchased the review sample and have been using it as a reference component for almost a year on a daily basis.”
Referencing Red Wine Audio’s Isabellina HPA DAC/headphone amp, this is the question Steve Guttenberg poses in CNET News. But, Isabellina HPA LFP-V Edition owners already know the answer.
“I’ve reviewed and auditioned a lot of headphone amplifiers over the years, but Red Wine Audio’s Isabellina HPA LFP-V Edition stood out from the pack… It sounds remarkably pure, detailed, and clean, but without any false clarity.”
“…acoustic music sounded a giant step closer to the way it does in real life…”
“… Isabellina sounded more like live music.”
Source: Steve Guttenberg, CNET News
“…Red Wine Audio Isabellina is the best USB DAC / amp solution I have heard. There’s nothing more to say really, this is quite clearly the best sound I have heard coming out of my headphones, and by quite a margin.”
Source: Daryl Hoffman, Headphonista
Two highly-acclaimed products united to create affordable solution for discriminating headphone users.
|Included tube||6922/E88CC dual triode|
6922/E88CC, 6DJ8/ECC88, 7308/E188CC, 7DJ8/PCC88, 6N23, 6H23, 6N11, and 6GM8
12AX7/ECC83, E83CC/ECC803, 5751, 12DT7/12DM7/12DF7, 6681, 7058, and 7025
|Digital to analog converter (DAC)||16-bit, non-oversampling, using purist R-2R conversion|
|DAC analog output stage||Discrete, Class-A transistor output with cathode follower vacuum tube stage|
|Number of digital inputs||3 (USB, Coaxial, and Optical), user selectable|
|Output Impedance||Less than 100 ohms|
|Output voltage||Approximately 2Vrms|
|Power supply transformer / rectifiers / transformers in signal path||None – for the purest possible sound reproduction|
Battery Pack / Charger
|Battery||Red Wine Audio 25.6V LiFePO4 battery pack|
|Battery charger||30V, 2A LiFePO4 battery charger; Input voltage range: 100-240Vac, 50/60Hz|
|Typical continuous play time in battery mode between full charges||Approximately 6 hours|
|Dimensions||13.5" width x 10" depth x 3.75" height (including feet)|
|Weight (without charger)||Approximately 10 lbs.|
|Package weight||Approximately 16 lbs.|
- Your purchase is backed by our:
- Your unit is carefully tested, inspected and packaged before making its journey to you
- We have a high level of customers satisfaction, demonstrated on our user forum
- All products are proudly hand-made in Massachusetts, USA
- Learn more about our company